Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 16: Appalachia and Final Thoughts

Today I got up at around 8am. A little later than usual but not to major since it was our final stretch back into Washington. We left Knoxville at about 9am and skipped breakfast. For lunch we stopped at Cracker Barrel and dad tried to talk me into getting grits. It didn't work because there was some ham and eggs that looked soooo much better. Got to hear some quality Tennessee accents though!

Heading north through the beautiful Appalachian mountains was great. They were thick with vegetation familiar to me from up north. I was finally back in my own environment after two weeks. The ride was pleasant. Really nothing new to report except for just how nice this 7 hour drive was. I knew I was close to home when I drove into the Shenandoah Valley between the Appalachian Range to my west in West Virginia and the Blue Ridge Mountains to the East where I frequent on some weekends for hiking. I will look at these mountains a little differently now though. After seeing those titans in the west, these here on the east coast are mere hills.


Final Thoughts:

Its been over two weeks now on the road and I am happy it is over now. It ended just at the right time. I'm not tired of it but rather satisfied with it ending. It was perfect. I got to spend some great quality time with my dad and to our surprise, we didn't get fed up with each other. I got to see and experience amazing things in the span of half a month. I experienced temperatures ranging from the upper-30s to 100 degrees with high humidity. I was on top of the world at 10,000 feet and below sea level. I viewed all types of terrain and incredible geological formations. I saw more animals than all the trips to the zoo I have taken combined. I saw different peoples and how they go about their daily lives. I even saw a speed limit sign of 80 mph! We live in such a beautiful country and I implore everyone to go out and see it when they have the time. I am so happy this happened and that my appetite for exploration has been satisfied for the time being!

Thanks for reading everyone and I'll be updating soon on other happenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment