Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 15: The Deep South


We left this morning a little late. I found it extremely hard to get up after yesterday walking all over New Orleans. By the time we hit the road it was past 9am but we got into Mississippi fairly quickly. This fine state is known as the Magnolia State and it lives up to its reputation. The highway had several of these flowering trees through out the state. Besides that, the flat coastal plains' fauna were made up of mostly deciduous trees but now there was an increase in pine trees too.

A few hours later, we crossed into Alabama. There were significantly fewer Magnolias but noticed an increase in another type of flowering tree -Mimosas. the coastal plains continued in this state until we started hitting some hills in the northern part of the state. Those foothills belong to a familiar mountain range known as the Appalachian Mountains.

For lunch, we stopped in the outskirts of Birmingham for some classic southern food. I found this great little diner and I figured it would be perfect. I was right despite waiting forever for it! Time definitely goes by a lot slower down south compared to what I am used to in the North. I had an authentic barbecue pork sandwich and for dessert I had a fried southern apple pie. It was pretty amazing and making my mouth water as I type this. I love southern food.

Back on the road now, we finished up Alabama and clipped the northwest corner of Georgia where the foothills were getting a bit bigger. We then drove into Tennessee and through the city of Chattanooga. We made our final stop for the night in Knoxville to get some shut eye.


Next Up: Appalachia and Final Thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment